Organic and Inorganic
(Inorganic): a. Harness the power of periodic table Periodic properties: trends in size, electron affinity, ionization potential and electronegativity • Role of chemical elements in water contamination • Hardness of water • Desalination of brackish and sea water • Role of silicon in semiconducting applications • metal atom (Cu, Au, Pt, Pd etc.) based nanoparticles
Transition metal chemistry: inorganic complexes, bonding theories, magnetism, bonding aspects and structural distortion
(Organic) a. M.O. theory and π-conjugated compounds
Molecular orbitals of common functional groups, Qualitative Huckel MOs of conjugated polyenes and benzene. Aromaticity. Configuration, molecular chirality and isomerism, Conformation of alkanes and cycloalkanes
Types and classification of polymers • polymerization techniques • Structure-property relationships of polymers • Conducting polymers
a. Quantum chemistry
Schrodinger equation, Origin of quantization, Born interpretation of wave function, Hydrogen atom: solution to -part, Atomic orbitals, many electron atoms and spin orbitals. Chemical bonding: MO theory: LCAO molecular orbitals, Structure, bonding and energy levels of diatomic molecules. Concept of sp, sp2 and sp3 hybridization; Bonding and shape of many atom molecules; Intermolecular Forces; Potential energy Surfaces-Rates of reactions; Steady state approximation and its applications; Concept of pre-equilibrium; Equilibrium and related thermodynamic quantities
Electrochemical cells and Galvanic cells • EMF of a cell Single electrode potential • Nernst equation • Electrochemical series • Types of electrodes • Reference electrodes • Batteries • Modern batteries • Fuel cells • corrosion
- J. D. Lee, “Concise Inorganic chemistry” 5th Edition. Wiley India. Ed.
- J. E. Huheey, E. A. Keiter, R. L. Keiter, O. K. Medhi, “Inorganic Chemistry: Principles of structure and reactivity” 4th Edition, Person.
- P. Atkins, J. de Paula, “physical chemistry” 5th Edition, Oxford.
- J. Clayden, N. Greeves, S. Warren, “Organic chemistry” 2th Edition, Oxford.
- George Odian, Principles of polymerization, 4th edition, Wiley student edition, Wiley India Pvt Ltd.
- F. W. Billmeyer, Text book of Polymer Science, 3rd edition, Wiley student edition, Wiley India Pvt Ltd.
- A. K. De, Environmental Chemistry, 8th edition, New Age International publishers.
- B. K. Sharma, Environmental Chemistry, 16th edition, Krishna Prakashan Media Pvt Ltd.
- A. R. West, Solid State Chemistry and Its Applications, Wiley student edition, Wiley India Pvt Ltd.
- T. Pradeep, Nano: The essentials, McGraw-Hill Education publishers.
- Geoffrey A Ozin and André Arsenault, Nanochemistry: A Chemical Approach to Nanomaterials, 2nd edition, RSC publishing.